Assistant Principal of Operations - IDEA Lake Houston (Immediate Opening)
School Year: 2022-2023
Location: IDEA Lake Houston
Region: Greater Houston, TX
Job Type: Full-Time
Description IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all of our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 58% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 45,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington), New Orleans, Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2021), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality. To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About our region:
IDEA Greater Houston Area was announced in 2017 and we are preparing for a rapid expansion plan. Houston is known for being one of the most diverse cities in America, yet children of color and children living in poverty continue to lack access to the highest quality schools. We are the fourth largest city, with more than 51 independent public school districts and the home base for two fantastic public charter school operators, Yes Prep and KIPP Texas-Houston.
Houston’s reputation is based on economic opportunity and affordable living with a massive sprawl that exceeds the size of New Hampshire. Despite the presence of great public charter schools and a strong district magnet schools system, the need for more great schools is ever present. IDEA Greater Houston Area will help solve the challenge to offer more children a choice-filled life through a transformational public education.
Fully cognizant of the need across the Greater Houston Area, IDEA Public Schools will launch with a commitment to open our first four schools in 2020 and follow with an ambitious growth plan to grow to 20 schools by 2025-26 and ultimately serve 15,000 students once fully enrolled
The Assistant Principal of Operations (APO) manages campus operations for each IDEA site (two schools) and is responsible for achieving operational excellence across non-instructional areas, including front office management, student information systems, child nutrition, transportation, health services, business office, facility maintenance, new construction management, technology coordination, student recruitment and enrollment. It will be required to work long hours and weekends.
85% Operations Staff Retention
100% Projected enrollment for Academy and College Prep schools by the first day of school
- Responsible for ensuring top performers occupy every seat across all operations roles
- Institutes operating mechanisms that facilitate the ongoing coaching and support of team members (check-ins, tactical meetings, regular observation and feedback sessions, high-quality talent review process and staff development cycle)
- Leverages the APO Priorities Calendar; routinely assesses team members based on progress toward goals as well as principal and HQ feedback; prioritizes support accordingly
100% of new parents are onboarded and enroll prior to the first day of school
- Develops and executes student recruitment efforts that target families with school-aged children immediately surrounding each school
- Leads team to recruit new families with specific applicant goals per grade level--3:1 ratio (open grade levels) while ensuring applications are high quality and ultimately lead to enrollment
- Ensures all new families are effectively onboarded and persist through their first year
- Complies with all federal, state, and organizational student registration requirements throughout the enrollment process (i.e. transfers, testing, etc.)
Campus safe and operational one week before the first day of school
- Ensures all new families are effectively onboarded and registered by June, so that they persist through their first year in our schools
- 100% over enrollment goal for summer registration in June
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Responsible for managing all Beginning of Year (BOY) efforts with a specific focus on:
- 100% of employee positions filled, staff onboarded and in attendance at summer training
- 3.5 average score on both the parent and staff BOY surveys
- ≥90 score on Beginning-of-Year quality scorecard
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Year 0 APOs directly manage 3 staff members: receptionist, SIS coordinator, and business clerk. During the year, they select their founding staff, who start work on campus the summer before school opening.
- Year 0 APOs report to the region's Principals In Residence
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience: Experience managing and developing others to achieve ambitious results
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $71,969 and $91,761 commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications.
- This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.