Role Mission: IDEA Assistant Principals of Instruction (APIs) are instructional leaders who manage, coach and develop the teachers at their school to achieve ambitious results with students. They monitor the progress of students to ensure ALL students are on-track for college.
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities
Accountabilities include and are not limited to:
- 96% of students passing all classes (On Track to Graduate)
- 90% Approaching | 60% Meets | 30% Mastered on STAAR/EOC
- 60% of SpEd students attain “approaches” on STAAR
- 75% sub populations (SpEd and/or ELL) meet Index 2 STAAR growth measure
- 90% Student Persistence
- 85% Teacher Retention
- 97.5% Average Daily Attendance for students
- Focus on IDEA’s core purpose to get all students into college
- Hold high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Lead instructional staff to achieve measurable and ambitious results
- Lead instructional staff to improve their teaching quickly and measurably through daily observations, on-the-spot coaching, data conversations, and effective evaluations
- Supervise the implementation of TEKS based IDEA curricula and assessments to meet ambitious academic expectations
- Review teachers’ weekly lesson plans and provide feedback
- Synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies that achieve quantifiable goals
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve and consistently reflect on past actions to guide future decisions
- Communicate students’ progress with student and family
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
- Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve teacher development, student achievement and manage work related tasks.
- Support the creation and implementation of a clear and consistent behavior management system while developing students’ character and sense of community
- Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
- Oversee campus based tutoring sessions
- Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions
- Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development
- Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week
- Additional responsibilities may include: after-school tutoring or Saturday school and are based on the needs of our scholars
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable):
- Instructional coach and manager to several teachers and/or co-teachers
- Conduct 1:1 meetings with direct reports to monitor progress towards student goals and provide coaching
What You Bring -- Competencies
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience: At least 3 years of full-time teaching experience
- Teacher leadership or administrative experience required
- Proven track record of achieving success in the K-12 setting
- Experience managing/coaching others preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of core academic subject assigned and ability to pass an IDEA content assessment
- Strong ability to coach teachers on curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
What We Offer
- Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between 66,626 and 80,618, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.