Internal Auditor III
The mission of the Internal Auditor III is to utilize Internal Audits’ resources in an effective and efficient manner for the professional and timely completion of assigned audit engagements set forth by IDEA Public School’s Board Audit Committee through the annual audit plan. Internal Auditor III will assist in providing an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve IDEA Public Schools’ operations. The Internal Auditor III will report to the Director of Internal Audit for assignment, planning, and executing of internal audits and other duties. This is a full-time remote position based in Texas with preference given to candidates who live in Austin, El Paso, Houston, Permian Basin Midland/Odessa, Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, and Tarrant County (Fort Worth), or who are willing to relocate.
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $66,626 and $80,618, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on team performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
In this role you will:
- Manage the performance and control of 100% of the assigned audit engagements within the agreed upon timeline, including risk management and control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations:
- Obtain, analyze and evaluate accounting documentation, previous financial and programmatic reports, data, flowcharts, etc. for a clear understanding of current conditions and identification of potential risks.
- Conduct follow up procedures to monitor management’s interventions and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Engage in continuous education development regarding the non-for-profit and education sector’s rules, regulations, best practices, tools techniques and performance standards.
- Anticipate emerging issues through research and interviews and collaborate with Director of Internal Audit on how to best deal with them.
- Assess how the District is complying with applicable policies and regulations and inform management on any issue that may need to be addressed.
- Research and assess how risk management processes are developed and how effectively they are working.
- Engage in the understanding of IDEA Public School’s organizational context, charter and educational context and all internal policies.
- For 100% of the audit engagements assigned, determine the internal audit scope, develop audit plans for assigned projects, and maintain a consistent system of audit paperwork retention using Highbond/Galvanize, internal audit’s management system.
- Incorporate the Audit Committee’s internal audit plan for the year by setting up all internal audit engagements into internal audit’s operating system.
- Develop and outline audit objectives for all assigned audit engagements.
- For each audit objective developed,
- Identify and document potential risks under that objective, and
- Prepare and incorporate all planning procedures to address those risks within internal audits management system.
- Document and summarize the results of testing and other internal audit procedures within the internal audit management system.
- Document, communicate and coordinate any issues identified with Director of Internal Audit.
- Prepare Internal Audit reports for presentation.
- Schedule and lead 100% of the entry and exit meetings for internal audit engagements with the IDEA Officers responsible for the area under audit and deliver engagement letters for all assigned audits at a minimum 2 weeks prior to the commencement of a project.
- Maintain open lines of communication with IDEA Public Schools’ Officers and the Director of Internal Audit.
- Manage and leverage the communications with IDEA Officers on surprise audits initiated for fraud or other risk concerns.
- Develop an understanding of the business processes under audit and collaborate with individuals that will be participating on the audit before and during the completion of the entrance meeting.
- Travel to different sites to meet relevant staff and obtain documents and information as needed.
- Communicate issues as found to Director of Internal Audit and summarize for presentation and discussion with relevant officers and managers.
- Communicate findings/issues to IDEA officers, request input on issues found, and initiate the corrective action plan process.
- Assist as needed on the completion of Interim and Year-End Financial Audit process for the timely completion of the external audit engagement by the September Board of Directors’ meeting.
- Communicate audit requests as assigned to appropriate staff.
- Review all audit documentation assigned for accuracy and completeness prior to submission to external auditors.
- Lead the Internal Quality control strategy as required by professional standards for Internal Audits and complete 100% of the quality control program as assigned by the Director of Internal Audit.
- Ensure quality control strategies are incorporated into and completed for all internal audit engagements.
- Communicate any issues that may impair the quality of internal audit engagements to the Director of Internal Audit and assist in their remediation.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business.
- Experience: 7+ years auditing experience; preferably internal audit at a non-profit or educational setting.
- Licenses or Certifications: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor or Certified Fraud Examiner Preferred.
As part of the internal audit team, you will contribute to reaching the following ambitious goals:
- Obtain no material weaknesses on internal controls on the annual external audit for fiscal year 2023 related to areas that underwent an internal audit in the past 2 years. Internal audits in the past two years are defined as completed audits within the 2021-22 and 2022-23 audit plan.
- 85% full time audit team retention employed during the 2022-2023 fiscal year will be retained and return on July 1, 2023.
- Obtain an average of four or more points on all internal audit client surveys. Point scale is measured using a 1-5 score with 5 signifying the highest quality of service and 1 signifying the lowest score.
- Achieve an audit completion rate of at least 90% of items on the approved audit plan.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff, and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Learn more about IDEA