Role Mission: Business Clerks serve as a financial steward for their campus. This includes managing $600K-$1.4M across two Principal budgets, procurement through purchase orders and leader purchase cards, school-based activity accounts central to local fundraising, supporting student recruitment, enrollment and average daily attendance. Business Clerks are essential to ensuring students and staff have the resources they need to accomplish our ambitious student achievement goals.
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities:
Build and manage school budgets.
- Submit 100% accurate campus discretionary budget requests overall and by fund in IDEA’s enterprise resource planning system, Tyler Munis, by April 4, 2019.
- Manage $600K-$1.4M in Principal discretionary budgets which support student and staff across both schools of a campus. Ensure school leaders are informed regarding the financial state of their school through consistent monthly check-ins and robust report sharing.
- Reconcile negative discretionary budget accounts by the 8th business day every month.
- Partner with the Financial Planning Team to accurately forecast results by school to ensure local financial goals are met and schools end the year with a surplus or on target.
Procure goods and services in compliance with IDEA policies and procedures.
- Enter 100% of requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Ensure timely vendor payments by receiving 100% of all goods or services in Tyler Munis within one business day of delivery and include all appropriate documentation such as packing slips.
- Procure all goods or services with an approved purchase order (with the exception of purchase card expenses).
- Reconcile all assigned purchase cards by the 2nd business day of the following month. Ensure all corresponding purchase card receipts are shared by the 3rd business day of the following month and include an accurate transaction summary report.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training sessions to campus staff regarding procurement policies and procedures, including student travel for field lessons, short-term rentals, and food for students and staff.
Manage local campus and student activity accounts.
- Support precise fundraising balance reporting by submitting accurate and complete cash receipt documentation for all campus and student activity fund deposits by the last day of the month.
- Enter 100% of local account requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training to campus staff regarding campus and student activity fund policies and procedures.
- Ensure all staff managing fundraising efforts have completed cash handling training.
Complete an annual physical inventory.
- Locate and scan 100% of campus capital assets and 90% of inventory items by the provided deadline.
- Tag all new assets with a per unit cost greater than $1,000 with the correct label.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
What You Bring - Competencies:
- Mission Focus – focuses on IDEA’s core purpose of getting all students into college
- Record of Results – holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Education: HS Diploma or GED required
- Experience: 1-2 years of accounting experience preferred
- License or Certification:
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures. Ability to utilize Enterprise Resource Planning System databases and analyze data in Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively communicate financial goals, recommendations and results.
What We Offer
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.