IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA’s mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
Role Responsibilities: The Front Office Coordinator will serve as Receptionist and Business Clerk.
Receptionist Accountabilities: The receptionist will focus primarily on ensuring parent satisfaction and ensuring families’ needs are met by sharing information, coordinating with other team members, and greeting all visitors.
- Serves as a liaison between parents, students, team members, community and service providers. This includes:
- Communicating morning announcements to students and team members
- Exemplifying IDEA core values and exemplar customer service skills
- Provides lead team support as needed. This includes:
- Recruiting students for the following school year if needed
- Exercise good judgment and excellent customer service
- Answering all phone calls
- Greeting parents, students, visitors
Business Clerk Accountabilities: Business Clerks serve as a financial steward for their campus. This includes managing $600K-$1.4M across two Principal budgets, procurement through purchase orders and leader purchase cards, school based activity accounts central to local fundraising, supporting student recruitment, enrollment and average daily attendance. Business Clerks are essential to ensuring students and staff have the resources they need to accomplish our ambitious student achievement goals.
1. Build and manage school budgets.
- Submit 100% accurate campus discretionary budget requests overall and by fund in IDEA’s enterprise resource planning system, Tyler Munis, by April 3, 2020.
- Manage $600K-$1.4M in Principal discretionary budgets which support student and staff across both schools of a campus. Ensure school leaders are informed regarding the financial state of their school through consistent monthly check-ins and robust report sharing.
- Reconcile negative discretionary budget accounts by the 8th business day every month.
- Partner with the Financial Planning Team to accurately forecast results by school to ensure local financial goals are met and schools end the year with a surplus or on target.
- Audit monthly teacher SHARS submissions to ensure 100% billing timelines are met
2. Procure goods and services in compliance with IDEA policies and procedures.
- Enter 100% of requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Ensure timely vendor payments by receiving 100% of all goods or services in Tyler Munis within one business day of delivery and include all appropriate documentation such as packing slips.
- Procure all goods or services with an approved purchase order (with the exception of purchase card expenses).
- Reconcile all assigned purchase cards by the 2nd business day of the following month. Ensure all corresponding purchase card receipts are shared by the 3rd business day of the following month and include an accurate transaction summary report.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training sessions to campus staff regarding procurement policies and procedures, including student travel for field lessons, short-term rentals, and food for students and staff.
3. Manage local campus and student activity accounts
- Support precise fundraising balance reporting by submitting accurate and complete cash receipt documentation for all campus and student activity fund deposits by the last day of the month.
- Enter 100% of local account requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training to campus staff regarding campus and student activity fund policies and procedures.
- Ensure all staff managing fundraising efforts have completed cash handling training.
4. Complete an annual physical inventory.
- Locate and scan 100% of campus capital assets and 90% of inventory items by the provided deadline.
- Tag all new assets with a per unit cost greater than $1,000 with the correct label.
5. Live values of IDEA
- Believes and is committed to our mission: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Is driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- Embodies IDEA’s core values
- Mission Focus – focuses on IDEA’s core purpose of getting all students into college
- Record of Results – holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Education: HS diploma or GED required
- Experience: 1-2 years of accounting experience preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures.
- Ability to utilize Enterprise Resource Planning System databases and analyze data in Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively communicate financial goals, recommendations and results.