Role Mission: The Health Aide is primarily responsible for providing health services to students, conducting state-mandated screenings, maintaining 100% immunization state compliance and maintaining accurate files. The school health aide is also responsible for promoting health education and preventative health practices for students. All clinic staff report directly to the campus Assistant Principal of Operations (APO.) All medical and compliance for the district is directed to the Director of Health Services.
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
- Provide direct care utilizing professional assessment skills, the nursing process, and established school health protocols.
- Serve as a health advocate for students.
- Notify parents of accidents or illnesses and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
- Coordinate management system to administer medications to students at school.
- Establish and implement effective procedures for mandatory screening programs. Make referrals as necessary.
- Serve as a health liaison between school, physicians, parents, and community.
- Assess student problems and make appropriate referrals working with students, teachers, parents, and medical and health care professionals, as needed.
- Participate in health-related school committees and develop Individual Health Plans for students, as needed.
- Collaborate with other professionals regarding implementation of health-related Individual Education Plan (IEP) items.
- Participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Make home visits to help with student health problems as necessary with permission of principal.
- Communicate regularly with the campus director of operations, health services coordinator, school counselor, teachers, parents, food services, and other staff regarding health services issues.
- Review and evaluate immunization records.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic records and accurate, updated health records on all students.
- Request supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic inventory.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in health services area.
- Report potential health and safety hazards to the campus director of operations.
- Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
- Maintain certification as a CNA or RMA, maintain certification in CPR/First Aid as well as certification as state-approved vision, hearing, spinal, and AN health screeners.
- Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Has Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
- Education: High School diploma or GED (Required)
- Experience: One-year experience in a health-related position. (Experience with school-age children is preferred).
- Certified as a Nursing Assistant (CNA) OR a Registered Medical Assistants (RMA) (Required)
- Current certification in CPR/AED/ First Aid (Required)
- Certified by the Texas Department of State Health Services to conduct vision, hearing, spinal, and AN screenings (Preferred)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of basic first aid and cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Proficient keyboarding and file maintenance skills
- Ability to use personal computer and software to develop databases and do word processing
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written)
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate by region.
- This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on team performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.