Payroll Supervisor Biweekly
Payroll Department, Business Office
The Payroll Supervisor oversees the day-to-day activities of the bi-weekly payroll function(s). The payroll supervisor will report to and supports the Assistant Director of Payroll in all payroll related functions. The payroll supervisor will need to be keen on execution of processes to meet critical deadlines. This role will need to work diligently with other departments within the organization to ensure an accurate and timely payroll. The staff in this role must be analytical, detail-oriented, and must have great communication skills.
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week position based in Texas with preference given to candidates who live in Austin, El Paso, Houston, Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, or Tarrant County, or who are willing to relocate.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $55,000 and $65,500, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits, as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
* IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
In this role you will:
- Oversee execution of employee management for all new hires, exits, and staff transitions in Tyler Munis, ensuring that all staff are completely set up within 48 hours of clearing HR.
- Oversee the execution of all regular payroll processes for bi-weekly hourly, bi-weekly extended, and substitutes.
- Oversee the execution of all campus stipends, athletic stipends, and performance pay process that has been approved by the Compensation Team.
- Ensure compliance to all state and federal wage and hour laws and other government entities
- Ensure all state and federal reporting executed on time and accurately (TRS, Staff Salary, PEIMS, 941, TWC, W2s)
- Set up a dashboard with measurable metrics for payroll team to ensure accuracy in all functions of the team
- Manage the payroll team to success in updating metrics weekly
- Create meaningful comparisons to use data to drive future results of the payroll function
- Understand the staffing model and work with leaders and budget team to ensure all positions are set up correctly in position control
- Execute the annual employee database rollover in partnership with other departments and payroll staff
- Ensure all employees are set-up in Tyler Munis prior to established internal deadlines- 7 days prior to their official start date
- Day to day team supervision of the bi-weekly payroll team
- Develop continuous improvements for payroll team
- Work with Assistant Director of Payroll on staffing plans as the organization continues growth
- Ensure the team receives strong evaluations of customer service and integrity from key stakeholders
- Day to day team supervision of regular payroll administrator team, including regular check-ins and participation of tactical meetings/team planning, strategies etc.
- Deliver timely feedback and coaching through staff development cycle for all team members for continuous growth and improvement
- Instill strong work ethic with personal drive for success exemplifying “whatever it takes” attitude
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable.
- Experience: 5+ years of payroll experience
- Knowledge of full cycle payroll processing
- License or Certification: FPC/CPP Preferred
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including PowerPoint, experience with Employee Information Systems, Enrollment Platforms, and other benefits databases.
- Strong Excel knowledge and skills.
- Multi-State and Federal Payroll Law knowledge
- Knowledge of payroll functions, including current labor laws and regulations, and accounting and general ledger.
- Prior payroll experience with large employee processing of 6,000 or larger employee count
- Strong written and oral communication and ability to relate and communicate effectively across all levels of staff inside and outside the department.
- Customer service focused, able to interface with employees across the organization
- Hands-on, energetic, organized, team player with proven ability to adapt quickly in a changing environment and facilitate change, multitask effectively and work independently.
- Ability to prioritize projects, quickly determine the requirements to accomplish them, and analyze the processes to figure out how to simplify, automate, and improve them for increased efficiency.
- High attention to detail
Will manage a team of four.
- Achieve 95% Payroll Department Customer Service Satisfaction Rating for 2022-23 fiscal year
- Overall FY22 payroll accuracy of at least 98% on processed payrolls
- Overall FY22 payroll related accuracy of at least 99.75% overall on processed payrolls
- 2022 W-2 accuracy of at least 99.5% for all W-2s across all entities
- 99% overall on-time rate for payroll processing deadlines
Physical Requirements: (Optional)
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to lift and carry or otherwise move 15 pounds (occasionally)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff, and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Learn more about IDEA
IDEA’s Core Values