Role Mission: Business Clerks serve as a financial steward for their campus. This includes managing $600K-$1.4M across two Principal budgets, procurement through purchase orders and leader purchase cards, school-based activity accounts central to local fundraising, supporting student recruitment, enrollment and average daily attendance. Business Clerks are essential to ensuring students and staff have the resources they need to accomplish our ambitious student achievement goals.
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $18.00 for 0 years of experience and $22.40
- This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on team performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Flexible Credits Plan: IDEA provides full-time eligible employees $1,000-$2,000 per year (pro-rated for mid-year hires) to use towards a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or receive as a taxable cash benefit.
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Professional Development: We offer staff opportunities to engage in identity-based affinity space and leadership training covering a variety of topics such as culturally competent leadership, models of equity, mitigating bias, and more.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, referral bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
What You Bring - Competencies:
- Mission Focus – focuses on IDEA’s core purpose of getting all students into college
- Record of Results – holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Education: HS Diploma or GED required
- Experience: 1-2 years of accounting experience preferred
- License or Certification:
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures. Ability to utilize Enterprise Resource Planning System databases and analyze data in Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively communicate financial goals, recommendations and results.
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities:
Build and manage school budgets.
- Submit 100% accurate campus discretionary budget requests overall and by fund in IDEA’s enterprise resource planning system, Tyler Munis, by April 4, 2019.
- Manage $600K-$1.4M in Principal discretionary budgets which support student and staff across both schools of a campus. Ensure school leaders are informed regarding the financial state of their school through consistent monthly check-ins and robust report sharing.
- Reconcile negative discretionary budget accounts by the 8th business day every month.
- Partner with the Financial Planning Team to accurately forecast results by school to ensure local financial goals are met and schools end the year with a surplus or on target.
Procure goods and services in compliance with IDEA policies and procedures.
- Enter 100% of requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Ensure timely vendor payments by receiving 100% of all goods or services in Tyler Munis within one business day of delivery and include all appropriate documentation such as packing slips.
- Procure all goods or services with an approved purchase order (with the exception of purchase card expenses).
- Reconcile all assigned purchase cards by the 2nd business day of the following month. Ensure all corresponding purchase card receipts are shared by the 3rd business day of the following month and include an accurate transaction summary report.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training sessions to campus staff regarding procurement policies and procedures, including student travel for field lessons, short-term rentals, and food for students and staff.
Manage local campus and student activity accounts.
- Support precise fundraising balance reporting by submitting accurate and complete cash receipt documentation for all campus and student activity fund deposits by the last day of the month.
- Enter 100% of local account requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training to campus staff regarding campus and student activity fund policies and procedures.
- Ensure all staff managing fundraising efforts have completed cash handling training.
Complete an annual physical inventory.
- Locate and scan 100% of campus capital assets and 90% of inventory items by the provided deadline.
- Tag all new assets with a per unit cost greater than $1,000 with the correct label.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.