The Director of Risk Management reports directly to IDEA’s Managing Director of HR Compliance and Risk Management and is a strategic member of the leadership team responsible for leading special initiatives and supporting the achievement of 100% of departmental goals and annual priorities. The Risk Management Team at IDEA Public Schools manages all insurance and safety issues that may expose the District to litigation or insurance claims, including and not limited to identifying, evaluating, controlling and minimizing the District’s exposure to loss or damage to physical assets, fidelity losses, and losses arising out of liability claims.
The Director of Risk Management, in conjunction with IDEA’s Property and casualty broker and policy carriers, structures and manages IDEA’s organization wide and multi-state property and casualty insurance program with a goal of identifying, under writing and mitigating risk in organization wide operations. The Director of Risk Management plans, organizes, controls and directs risk management operations and activities for the District including, worker’s compensation, unemployment, safety, property and liability, loss control and insurance programs and functions; coordinates and directs communications, personnel, resources, inspections, information to meet District needs, minimize financial exposure and enhance employee, student and public safety and well-being; supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $82,000 and $100,900, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
* IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
In this role you will:
- Evaluate and improve policies, systems, and operations to enhance employee and manager experience
- Ensure controls are in place that identify and mitigate risk for the organization
- Ensure all policy renewals items are submitted on time and before expiration annually
- Conduct mid-year review of all insurance policies
- Works collaboratively with IDEA’s property and casualty brokers and policy carriers in managing district wide and multi-state property and casualty insurance programs
- Responsible for ensuring all construction projects have builders risk coverage
- Ensures certificate of insurances are issued accordingly for all district events, field trips, and activities to support with vendor transfer of risk
- Ensures all vendors conducting business with IDEA adhere to vendor background check requirements
- Identifies property loss exposures and work with insurance brokers on appropriate levels of insurance coverage
- Works collaboratively with insurance broker and carriers to conduct campus site visits and assessments
- Assures that insurance programs are in compliance with federal, state, and local laws
- Evaluates insurance coverages, identifies exposures and assesses liability through evaluation of claim loss statistics and trends
- Participates in monthly risk management construction calls/meetings with insurance brokers and carriers
- In collaboration with Workers Compensation Manger, identifies, evaluates, controls and minimizes the Districts’ exposure to employee injuries and workplace safety issues
- Directs and review processing of workers compensation claims to ensure timely submission and losses are kept to a minimum, while assuring validity of and proper reporting of claims
- Assures organization is in compliance with laws relating to safety, industrial health, environmental protection, hazard control, and loss prevention programs
- Supports with overseeing the record management program for the organization and ensuring compliance with record management laws in accordance with each state that we operate in
- Develop and implement strategies to minimize risk by projecting potential losses to the District and determining appropriate response to identified risks; compile and analyze risk management data; oversee the investigation of liability issues; implement related corrective actions, preventative measures and methods to reduce and eliminate exposure to losses and risks
- Create and maintain District safety programs; provide technical direction for safety‐related matters and hazard assessment; investigate accidents, property and liability claims, and occupational and safety hazards; inspect facilities for compliance with health and safety mandates; identify and assure proper correction of response to risks and safety hazards; coordinate related training programs.
- Design and implement training plans to support with risk management efforts and increase employee knowledge and awareness
Required Experience and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in relevant field preferred
- At least 5 years experience in Risk Management industry (preferred)
- At least 3 years of successful management experience
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and expertise in insurance, claim management and risk management industry
- Knowledge, experience, and passion for building and maintaining a culture of high integrity, mutual respect, operational excellence, and prioritization of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Skill in critical-thinking and problem-solving, along with the ability to coach and develop these in others
- Skill in organization, prioritization, follow through, and attention to detail
- Skill in effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Skill in leading effective organization-wide change management
- Able to manage and monitor multiple projects at once, often under pressure with competing priorities and tight turnarounds while maintaining composure, ensuring quality, and achieving results
- Able to build strong relationships and mutually beneficial business partnerships through trust, empathy, and credibility
- Able to demonstrate sound judgment, excellent decision-making, and self-reflection for continuous improvement
- Able to analyze and interpret data and statistics to identify trends, draw conclusions, and develop strategies and tactics that that yield results and achieve goals
- Able to advocate, influence, motivate, and hold others accountable through consistency and clarity of expectations
- Able to design, evaluate, and improve existing policies and procedures to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency
- Able to achieve quantifiable results through commitment, personal responsibility, and accountability
- Able to provide, receive, and implement feedback that improves performance and achieves results