Role Mission: The Assistant Principal of Operations (APO) manages campus operations for each IDEA site (two schools) and is responsible for achieving operational excellence across non-instructional areas, including front office management, student information systems, child nutrition, transportation, health services, business office, facility maintenance, new construction management, technology coordination, student recruitment and enrollment.
What We Offer
- Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $78,141 and $95,332, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on organizational performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Flexible Credits Plan: IDEA provides full-time eligible employees $1,000-$2,000 per year (pro-rated for mid-year hires) to use towards a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or receive as a taxable cash benefit.
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Professional Development: We offer staff opportunities to engage in identity-based affinity space and leadership training covering a variety of topics such as culturally competent leadership, models of equity, mitigating bias, and more.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, referral bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
What You Bring -- Competencies:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Experience: Experience managing and developing others to achieve ambitious results
- Over 8 Direct Reports, including but not limited to:
- SIS Coordinator
- Cafeteria Manager
- Transportation Manager
- Health Aide
- Business Clerk
- Facilities Manager
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
85% Ops Staff Retention
- Responsible for ensuring top performers occupy every seat across all operations roles
- Institutes operating mechanisms that facilitate the ongoing coaching and support of team members (check-ins, tactical meetings, regular observation and feedback sessions, high-quality talent review process and staff development cycle)
- Leverages the APO Priorities Calendar; routinely assesses team members based on progress toward goals as well as principal and HQ feedback; prioritizes support accordingly
100% Projected Enrollment for Academy and College Prep by the first day of school
- Develops and executes student recruitment efforts that target families with school-aged children immediately surrounding each school
- Leads team to recruit new families with specific applicant goals per grade level--3:1 ratio (open grade levels) while ensuring applications are high quality and ultimately lead to enrollment
- Ensures all new families are effectively onboarded and persist through their first year
- Complies with all federal, state, and organizational student registration requirements throughout the enrollment process (i.e. transfers, testing, etc.)
97.5% Average Daily Attendance (ADA) for Academy and College Prep
- Ensures new and existing families know and understand attendance expectations, with a particular emphasis on PreK and Kinder families
- Manages team on the implementation of standardized accountability frameworks to ensure adherence to the outlined ADA policy at each school (i.e. escalation matrix, official attendance taking time, etc.)
- Tracks data on a daily and cumulative basis and makes it visible to key stake-holders; identifies trends and course-corrects in a targeted way week-over-week
- Implements best practices and leverages tracking mechanisms to positively impact ADA progress toward goals (PTGs)
- Works with school lead teams to invest, motivate and implement ADA plans to achieve maximum impact
- Complies with all federal and state ADA guidelines by performing regular and ongoing audits, staying abreast of changes in ADA policy and procedures, and effectively monitoring team members
90% new student persistence for Academy and College Prep
- Co-leads efforts with Academic Counselors to create an environment where students learn, thrive and have fun (school culture, praise and recognition, in and out of school events calendar, etc.)
- Implements an ongoing monitoring system that reviews and addresses parent and student feedback, particularly as it relates to non-instructional services and support
- Manages new family onboarding from the time a parent applies to IDEA through their first year in our schools
Achieves Operational and Financial Excellence in Auxiliary Services (cost/sqft, cost/rider, CNP fund balance)
- Ensures all Auxiliary support services provide best-in-class customer service while achieving operational efficiency and financial targets
- Indirectly manages and provides day-to-day tactical oversight and support in the areas of Transportation, and Child Nutrition (CNP)
- Directly manages and is responsible for coaching and mentoring of Certified Nurse’s Assistants (CNAs) and Facilities Managers
Campus safe and operational one week before FDOS
- Responsible for managing all Beginning of Year (BOY) efforts with a specific focus on:
- 100% of positions filled, staff onboarded and in attendance at summer training
- 3.5 average score on both the parent and staff BOY surveys
- ≥90 score on BOY quality scorecard
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.