Role Mission: IDEA Special Education Co-Teachers learn instructional strategies and develop their teaching skills in order to provide highly effective instruction to IDEA students. The Special Education Co-Teacher position is ideal for a candidate looking to gain valuable experience in Special Education teaching, wants challenging work, and the opportunity to advance in his or her education career.
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $16.50 for 0 years of experience and $21.50.
- Hourly co-teachers earnings are paid out over a 12-month period
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Flexible Credits Plan: IDEA provides full-time eligible employees $1,000-$2,000 per year (pro-rated for mid-year hires) to use towards a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or receive as a taxable cash benefit.
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Professional Development: We offer staff opportunities to engage in identity-based affinity space and leadership training covering a variety of topics such as culturally competent leadership, models of equity, mitigating bias, and more.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
What You Bring -- Competencies
- Education: At least 48 college hours required, bachelor’s degree (strongly preferred)
- Experience: Experience in a classroom setting or with children
- Licenses or Certifications: Willingness to pursue a Special Education teaching certification strongly preferred.
- IDEA Co-Teachers with a bachelor’s degree are eligible to enroll in the IDEA Special Education Certification Program (ISECP), an alternative certification program facilitated by South Texas Transition to Teaching (SOTEX). The goal of the program is for all participants to gain a special education certification and become future special education teachers at IDEA.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities
- Assist in the educational and social development of students under the direction and guidance of the facilitator and classroom teachers
- Assist in the implementation of Individual Education Plans for the students and monitor their progress
- Provide support for individual students inside and outside of the classroom to enable them to fully participate in activities
- Work with other professionals, such as speech therapist, social worker, occupational and physical therapists
- Assist classroom teachers with maintaining student records
- Support students with emotional or behavior concerns and assist them in developing appropriate social skills
- Assistance of daily living may include feeding, lifting and/or toileting in the Life Skills Unit
- At some campuses, school bus riding to accompany students may be needed before or after school
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.