Role Mission: The Bus Driver is responsible for transporting students over scheduled routes to and from a variety of school sites and to assure the safety of the passengers riding the school bus. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. This job class is responsible for ensuring the safety of all passengers including special education students while operating the assigned bus and for ensuring the assigned bus is always in a safe operating condition.
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $17.00 for 0 years of experience and $21.00
- This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on team performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Flexible Credits Plan: IDEA provides full-time eligible employees $1,000-$2,000 per year (pro-rated for mid-year hires) to use towards a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or receive as a taxable cash benefit.
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Professional Development: We offer staff opportunities to engage in identity-based affinity space and leadership training covering a variety of topics such as culturally competent leadership, models of equity, mitigating bias, and more.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, referral bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
What You Bring -- Competencies:
- Education: GED or High School Diploma
- Experience: Experience in the operation of large passenger vehicles; or an equivalent combination of experience and training; ability to manage student behavior
- License or Certification: Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with class P (passenger) and S (school bus) endorsements
- Completed bus driver safety training course
- Must be over 21 years old
- Pass alcohol and drug tests
- DOT Physical Examination
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
Safely transports students
- Drives a school bus safely in accordance with time schedules; transporting students to and from their homes, a variety of school sites, and on field trips as assigned
- Maintains order and proper discipline of passengers; resolving disputes, documents and reports severe disciplinary cases
- Conducts established safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily
Understands the basics of transporting students
- Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual, and assures that safety belts are fastened in passenger vans
- Maintains a variety of records and reports including but not limited to mileage, routing, maintenance, and time schedules
- Notifies appropriate individuals of any delays in scheduled route
- Ensure to always have proper credentials (CDL, Medical Card, & Region One) updated accordingly to DOT and IDEA policy
Must be able to understand and take directions and feedback well
- Have an open communication channel with managers of campuses they drive
- Able to accept negative and positive feedback
- Able to self –reflect on own performance to improve the operation
Must manage multiple tasks by prioritizing work
- Needs to adapt to changing circumstances while performing various tasks
- Handle various tasks simultaneously within established time constraints
Be able to work on an open calendar
- Able to work on evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.
- Expected to work a minimum of 32 hours per week – Not including Extra Curricular Activities assigned by campus
- Able to work extended hours when necessary to meet business needs
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.