IDEA Public Schools is excited to announce an immediate opening for a Data Engineer to join our vibrant team of engineering professionals. This role is pivotal in driving our mission of a data first organization by ensuring the seamless & performant processing, storage, accessibility, and analysis capability of our expansive data footprint. In essence, a Data Engineer at IDEA is an opportunity to be at the forefront of innovation in the educational landscape and make a tangible impact on our organization and the communities we serve. We invite you to be a part of our journey.
As a Data Engineer at IDEA, you will be entrusted with the daily responsibility of developing, implementing, and maintaining data pipelines and infrastructure at scale that provide actionable insights for both our instructional and operational leadership. This is a full-time, remote position, with preference given to candidates who live in Texas, or who are willing to relocate.
This role does come with some travel expectations, requiring occasional visits to our headquarters located in Texas. The typical IDEA workdays are Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, with occasional weekend work during major system upgrades or integrations.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $66,626 and $80,618 commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
* IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
In this role you will:
- Design, implement, and maintain large-scale data platforms: set up and maintain platforms for data ingestion, transformation, inspection, analysis, and visualization.
- Develop and manage ELT/ETL processes: ensure that data is effectively pulled from various source systems, transformed into a usable format, and loaded into data lakes and warehouses.
- Ensure data quality: verify the integrity and availability of data.
- Collaborate with other teams: work closely with data scientists, analysts, full stack developers, business intelligence developers, and other stakeholders to ensure that they have the data they need.
- Optimize database systems: improve query performance and ensure data storage is efficient.
- Manage and optimize data pipelines: work with big data tools and platforms to process large datasets.
- Implement data security measures: ensure that sensitive data is protected and compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Stay updated: keep up with the latest technologies and best practices in the data engineering field.
- Document systems and processes: ensure that other team members and stakeholders understand the data architecture and pipelines.
- Troubleshoot data issues: address any problems that arise with data processing systems or datasets.
Here’s what we hope you’ll bring:
- Education: Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or related field.
- Experience: 3-5 years related work experience.
- Proficiencies: SQL, ELT/ETL, Date Lake / Warehouse, Data Modeling, Data Integration, Performance Optimization, Data Quality & Cleaning, Orchestration, CI/CD Pipelines, Version Control, Agile Principles.
- Certifications: Data Engineering, Cloud Architecture, SQL Development related industry certifications.
- Proficiencies: SQL Server, SSIS, C#, Python, Azure, Databricks, Spark SQL, Data Visualization, Distributed Systems, Stream Processing, Containerization, NoSQL.
- Experience: 5+ years related work experience.
As part of the Software Development Data Engineering team, you will contribute to reaching the following ambitious goals:
- Design and implement a unified world class data platform that empowers leaders at every level of the organization.
- Foster elevated stakeholder engagement through transparency and collaborative decision-making.
- Drive enhanced data quality, accessibility, and governance to ensure consistent, compliant, and accurate data usage.
- Boost development flexibility and velocity through iterative agile methodologies and best practices.
- Promote increased customer satisfaction through a holistic human centered approach focusing on stakeholder outcomes.
Learn more about IDEA: