Data Warehouse Director
As a member of the IDEA Public Schools Software Development leadership team, we are seeking an individual with a strong business intelligence background to lead our Data Warehouse team. This position will be responsible for defining and leading the execution of our business intelligence and data warehouse roadmap. We are looking for a candidate with extensive business intelligence experience in a high-growth environment. A passion for data is essential, and experience with the K-12 education space is preferred. This role requires a forward-thinking individual, who will take a proactive problem-solving approach to stakeholder needs, requiring a strong vision and a flexible mindset.
The successful candidate will be a team-oriented, self-starter capable of defining a long-term vision, roadmap, and strategy for our custom Data Warehouse. Under the supervision of the Managing Director of Software Development, this role will lead a 6-member, cross-functional team to deliver against key priorities, supporting both analytics platform and team maturity as well as aligning to the IDEA Public Schools mission and goals. Most of all, they want to be part of an outstanding team that's at the core of providing data and analytics solutions that support the growth of our rapidly expanding organization.
This is a national, full-time, remote position based in Texas with preference given to candidates who live in Austin, El Paso, Greater Houston, Rio Grande Valley, or San Antonio or who are willing to relocate. Quarterly travel required for visits to our headquarters office located in Weslaco, Texas.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $91,100 and $112,900, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on organizational performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
* IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
In this role you will:
- Define the roadmap, strategy, and forward-facing plans for the Data Warehouse and on-going team development.
- Guide efforts to optimize our data warehouse solution in the near-term and beyond, empowering our holistic view of our stakeholder groups and preparing for future data sources (both internal and external)
- Identify areas of opportunity for new tools, automation, process improvements to deliver value from our data projects.
- Lead the Data Warehouse team by supporting existing staff with structural rigor, data modeling and process efficiency in support of advanced analytics, and by setting a vision and roadmap to drive additional stakeholder knowledge and business success.
- Support the growth and development of a highly talented, inclusive, collaborative, and diverse team by providing learning opportunities across technical, analytical and “soft skill” competencies.
- Interface frequently with IDEA Public Schools Leadership; identifying business challenges, providing solutions, and influencing outcomes Provide timely project updates to our stakeholders and other internal groups.
- Maintain visibility and connection to the current state of the Data Warehouse space and proactively bring new ideas, processes, and tools that will further enhance our stakeholder experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in Information Technology/Computer Science required. Master's degree preferred.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (Data Management & Analytics), Microsoft Certified Trainer, Project Management Professional (PMP) preferred
- 10+ years of experience with strong foundational knowledge of core BI skills, technical architecture, platform administration, data transformation, and analytics/reporting tools
- 3+ years defining and delivering Data Arehouse.BI solutions using on-premise or cloud-based platforms (SQL Server, Oracle, NoSQL, Azure, AWS...)
- 5+ years of leading cross functional teams and ability to motivate and inspire teams through the successful delivery of projects and solutions
- Experience with the K-12 education space is preferred
- Exposure to the practical application of analytical, predictive, and data science concepts
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Ability to rapidly understand business challenges and guide conversation to solution focused discussions
- Hands-on style with strong problem-solving abilities and keen attention to detail
- Outstanding organization and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to communicate across all customer levels from analyst to C-suite
- Ability to clearly demonstrate visual approach to prioritization, that allows for transparent and consistent decision- making
You will be responsible for leading your team to meet the following ambitious goals:
- On-time Product Delivery: Drive to and maintain on-time development and delivery of high-quality features for custom applications and business intelligence data structures as defined by monthly sprint plans as measured by:
- % of planned-to-done ratios meet the goal of 80%
- % of spilled over development tasks should be limited to a max of 5% of incomplete work
- % of critical defects due to SQL code changes and ETL functioning should be limited to a max of 5%
- % of reopened defects should be limited to a max of 2%
- Effective Requirements Analysis: New major product work and execution is detailed with full requirements analysis and effective preparation for sprint planning, with detailed task/effort estimates as measured by:
- Difference between estimated effort and actual effort should be limited to a max of 15% and decrease gradually
- Defects due a mis-match in understanding of the requirements should be limited to a max of 10%Measurable goal
- Efficient Analysis and Design: Thorough analysis and design of features with the documentation of necessary design artifacts as measured by:
- Refactoring time to enhance/improve SQL code changes and ETL development should be less than 15% of the original effort.
- At least 20% of the code developed should be reusable
- Reuse of code should be leveraged when possible. Duplication, if any, should be limited to a max of 5%.
- Adherence to Effective Agile Practices: Adhering to all of the Agile processes, with active and punctual team participation in Agile ceremonies as measured by:
- Absenteeism in Agile ceremonies including daily huddles, retrospectives, product reviews, and planning sessions should be limited to a max of 5% with prior intimation
- All planned leaves (both short and long duration) should be intimated in advance and documented so that sprint commitments are not affected. Deviation should be limited to 5%.
- Unplanned leaves (both short and long duration) should be intimated as soon as possible and documented so that sprint commitments are not affected. Deviation should be limited to 5%.
- Continuous Improvement of Domain, Technical, and Behavioral Skills: Continuously enhances the Product domain knowledge, technical, and behavioral competencies to grow to the next level as measured by:
- Relevant training/actions need to be identified, planned and attended 3 times within the year (1 skill from each area – domain, technical, and behavioral)
- Development and demonstration of these skills for the purpose of the facilitation of team training and/or mentoring should be developed for each team member (1 opportunity per year)
- Inventory operational departmental data sources, determine the effort necessary to incorporate into the data warehouse, and create a prioritization matrix based on resulting inventory.
- Design and develop priority data structure connections, ETLs, and final data structures.
- Design and develop secondary data structure connections, ETLs, and final data structures.
- Develops strategy and researches emerging technologies to best address optimization and continued growth/scaling of the internal data warehouse structures while also influencing and leading process re-engineering
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness, kindness, and inclusivity for our students and staff, and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures.
Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Learn more about IDEA