Role Mission: The Director of Facilities manages the IDEA experience beyond the classroom, from the moment a student sets foot in our schools until a student walks the stage at graduation. The Director of Facilities works to eliminate operational obstacles that could prevent teachers and school leaders from focusing on instruction.
Specifically, the Director of Facilities is responsible for achieving operational excellence at every school, with a specific emphasis in the following areas: facilities maintenance and staff and student safety.
What We Offer
- Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $82,090 and $100,971, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on organizational performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Professional Development: We offer staff opportunities to engage in identity-based affinity space and leadership training covering a variety of topics such as culturally competent leadership, models of equity, mitigating bias, and more.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, generous vacation time, referral bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
What You Bring -- Competencies:
- Problem solve, think strategically and manage conflicts
- Manage and develop non-exempt personnel
- Implement policies and procedures
- Provide exception customer service and training to end users
- Evaluate and develop data, and recommend improvement procedures
- Prepare reports and analysis for senior management
- Read and Interpret construction documents and floor plan
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or similar required
- Experience: 5+ years in team management, preferably in Facilities and Maintenance; preferably in school setting
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
Leads schools in operation goals in accordance with IDEA’s growth plans (138 schools in operation for the ’21-‘22 school year)
- Leads IDEA’s school launch strategy by developing cross-functional frameworks that result in standardized and replicable processes, implementing these processes consistently and timely across the district, and creating the infrastructure to produce and disseminate best practices to campuses.
- Builds best-in-class facilities launch tools and mechanisms that generate measurable data for continuous improvement opportunities and meet IDEA’s organizational needs. Communicates expectations, develops professional development and integrates IDEA culture in partnership with campus and regional leaders to ensure an excellent parent, student and staff experience on the first day of school.
Ensures top performers occupy every seat across Facilities (85% Facilities Staff Retention Rate)
- Establishes hiring practices to attract top performers for every role in Facilities, including screening exercises, interview protocols and vetting mechanisms.
- Customizes onboarding practices to ensure each new team member is set up for success based on the unique responsibilities of their role.
- Develops and executes differentiated professional development for Facilities staff, to build technical capacity, and leadership and management acumen.
Achieves Operational and Financial Excellence in Facilities through Direct and Indirect Management (cost/sqft, A+ in Quality, Safety & Energy Audits)
- Provides strategic and tactical leadership in the areas of Facilities. Directly manages the HQ Facilities team to achieve the highest levels of performance.
- Indirectly manages the campus Facilities teams to achieve the highest standards in quality and safety, the highest level of operational efficiency and the financial targets at every campus. · Indirectly manages Facility Managers by providing technical training, ongoing support, and by building the capacity of their managers (APOs) to oversee their work effectively.
- Works with Regional Directors of Operations (RDOs) to mentor and support Assistant Principals of Operations (APOs) on best practices, analysis and tracking mechanisms to ensure effective monitoring of progress toward goals (PTGs).
Achieves Safety Excellence in Facilities through Direct and Indirect Management
- Provides strategic and tactical leadership in the areas of safety in Facilities by evaluating practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law.
- Indirectly manages Facilities teams at each campus to achieve the highest standards in safety by preparing and enforcing policies to establish a culture of safety with students, staff and parents.
- Indirectly manages Facility Managers by providing training, ongoing support, and by building the capacity of their managers (APOs) to oversee their work effectively in the areas of safety.
- Works with Regional Directors of Operations (RDOs) to mentor and support Assistant Principals of Operations (APOs) on best safety practices, analysis and tracking mechanisms to ensure monitoring of safety procedures.
Ensures 100% of schools are fully operational by the first day of school
- Ensures that 100% positions are filled, 100% of professional development sessions are completed, Ensures that 100% of Facilities employees have received operations onboarding and training,
- Ensures that 100% of Facility Managers hired by May 1st and Custodians by July 1st , 100% of facilities heavy equipment delivered to campuses by July 1st , 100% of new campuses fully stocked with all custodial supplies, 100% of HVAC units are functional two weeks before the first day of school, 100% of building turnover meetings are conducted with Principals, APO's, and FM's by June 30, 100% of campus spaces have a comfortable temperature on the first day of school, 100% of campus staff have the required keys to lock classrooms and access staff restrooms.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.