Role Mission: The Cafeteria Assistant Manager assists the Cafeteria Manager in leading the CNP team at the campus level on our mission in becoming one of the healthiest school districts in the nation. They adhere to the food and nutrition standards set forth by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and relevant state agencies. Daily and weekly, they place orders for food and supplies, monitor the quality of the food production in the kitchen and deliver on our promise to that all students getting a nutritious and appealing meal every day. Other duties include, but are not limited to: maintaining sales records, processing payments, data entry, customer service (parents and students), inventory management, and coordinating with Cafeteria Manager in making College For All a reality.
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $17.92 for 0 years of experience and $22.40.
- This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on team performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Professional Development: We offer staff opportunities to engage in identity-based affinity space and leadership training covering a variety of topics such as culturally competent leadership, models of equity, mitigating bias, and more.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, generous vacation time, referral bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
What You Bring -- Competencies:
- The ability to motivate, delegate, and lead a team to accomplish goals.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and processes used in food production and management.
- Strong understanding of safety and sanitation practices involved with food production.
- Has the ability to understand and interpret data (charts, graphs, etc.).
- Can handle stress well to meet deadlines.
- Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy with understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Excel).
- Able to follows verbal and written direction and asks for clarification as needed.
- Demonstrates problem solving, adaptability and flexibility.
- Good mathematical skills and basic finance understanding.
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Experience: 2+ years in food service, restaurant, or hospitality industry
- License or Certification: Valid Texas driver's license, Valid Food Handler's card
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
Zero follow-up findings for the campus on internal audits of counting and claiming procedures by last day of school.
- Direct the team to execute the approved menu 100% every day
- Ensure every student participating in the meal program takes a reimbursable meal
- Ensure all methods of counting and claiming are compliant
- Observe that counting and claiming is happening at time of service
- Check that all counts of student meals are accurate
- Enter all counts correctly into internal trackers and PrimeroEdge
Campus meets 85% retention by June 30.
- Recruit top notch FSS and FSS Sub candidates from the area
- Hold weekly employee huddles; topics vary between operations and nutritional matters
- Review and submit employee’s timesheets every Tuesday so employees are paid accurately every 2 weeks
- Use the Staff Development Cycle to provide formal, timely and appropriate feedback on individual work performance and growth opportunities
- Development of Cafeteria Assistant Manager with goal of preparing them for potential promotion to Cafeteria Manager
- FSS with leadership potential into candidates for promotion
Campus meets budgeted participation for breakfast and lunch by the last day of school.
- Conduct Breakfast in the Class audits with a target compliance accuracy of 100%
- Report recipe/menu errors to the Cafeteria Manager immediately
- Use campus parent functions (i.e. report card night, ) to speak to parents about the advantages of participating in our meal program
- Identify students bringing lunch from home, speak to student(s), and identify the reason as to why; report findings to Cafeteria Manager
Campus meets the IDEA Healthy Kids Here standard by Nov 1 and maintains through the last day of school.
- Refer to the HKH self-assessment checklist for recommendations and techniques
- Promote more consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables through food preparation & display
- Rotate milk to ensure freshest product is available to all students
- Decorate the serving line with signage that provides both color and nutritional information that will appeal to students
- Implement and maintain salad bar to College Prep students (where salad bars are approved
Campus meets an average "A" rating on internal operations audits with no relevant follow up findings by June 30.
- Follow the designated menu every day; do not serve items outside our advertised menu
- Follow established policies & procedures for a food service operation as per the state guidelines
- Track changes in compliance and internal policies and implement as needed
- Correct issues identified as non-compliant
- Reach out to HQ CNP as needed for guidance in matters of finance, nutrition, and operations
- Complete food production records daily
- Food Service Specialists
- Food Service Specialist Substitutes
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.