Administrative Intern - Facilities and Construction (Immediate Opening)
School Year: 2023-2024
Location: Headquarters-Rio Grande Valley
Region: Headquarters - Rio Grande Valley, TX
Job Type: Intern
Role Mission: The Facilities and Construction department manages the IDEA experience beyond the classroom, from the moment a student sets foot in our schools until a student walks the stage at graduation. Our team works to eliminate operational obstacles that could prevent teachers and school leaders from focusing on instruction.
Specifically, the Facilities and Construction team is responsible for achieving operational excellence at every school, with a specific emphasis in the following areas: maintenance staff hiring, onboarding and development, facility maintenance, staff and student safety, as well as leading the execution of construction and warranty management. The intern position will support the needs of the team to work more efficiently and strategically. This includes support in logistical preparation for professional development events, organization files, preparing reports, and assisting with team financials such as AMEX reconciliation, staff reimbursements, and vendor payments through Tyler Munis and Concur applications.
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
Support the Facilities and Construction Team in the planning and execution of trainings
- Preparing training materials
- Arranging on- site logistics
- Organize materials (handouts, name tags, name tents, printing material, )
- Communicating effectively with facilitators, campus staff, and other IDEA employees and vendors before, during, and after trainings, as needed
- Assist with technology preparation
Support the Facilities and Construction team’s financial needs
- Communicate with team members to collect information such as receipts, agendas, packing slips, additional backup documents needed.
- Support weekly credit card reconciliation process
- Assist cardholders with reviewing transactions and providing proper documentation
- Assist members with booking travel: fights, car rentals, hotels
- Submitting requisitions and receiving goods/services on Tyler Munis
- Work with leads to select vendors and place orders.
Support logistics of the Talent Development Team
- Collect packages from headquarters office
- Manage logistics of supplies and materials
- Organize supplies, materials, and other resources
- Ship items to Facilities and Construction Team members
- Keep inventory of facilities uniforms
- Ship and uniforms to Facilities campus staff
Construction Projects and Facility Improvements
- Manage multiple bond projects with district and campus staff, architects and engineers and Project Advisory Team (PAT).
- Manage multiple bond projects to include A/E contract management, programming, pre-planning and project development, budgeting, project design, development of construction documents, plans and specifications, bidding process, contract execution, construction management and contract compliance for multiple large construction projects ranging from 5 to 80 million dollars.
- Coordinate and manage project programming and development of large multiple projects. Coordinate and schedule meetings with district and campus staff, architects and engineers and Project Advisory Team (PAT).
- Coordinate and manage project budget and design phase of large multiple projects. Coordinate and manage scope of work required for each project. Manage final development of construction documents against District’s Design and Construction Standards and Educational Specifications.
- Schedule and coordinate construction proposal process. Review and evaluate proposals for scope of work and compliance to construction documents and established budget.
- Assist in recommendation of general contractor and project cost for contract assignment to the Board of Trustees.
- Manage and coordinate all construction activities, enforce contract document compliance, budgets and all construction related documentation, close-out documents and warranty information.
- Effectively monitor budget and report construction progress and schedule to district and campus staff and project advisory teams.
- Records and Reports
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
What You Bring -- Competencies:
- Excellent oral, written, and overall communication skills
- Strong organization and attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated and proactive
- Quick to problem-solve logistical challenges
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people, including IDEA school leaders
- Can operate Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word and Outlook and willing to work any new software)
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate of $10 an hour.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. It is recommended that you include a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in IDEA and how your experience has prepared you for this position.