Regional Science Content Coach
Rio Grande Valley
We are seeking an experienced and passionate science coach to support our region’s efforts in improving student science skills. The science coach will work collaboratively with national and regional staff to design and deliver effective science training, conduct classroom observations, and analyze data to identify areas of improvement. The Regional Science Coach will expand the knowledge, skills and toolkits of all campus leaders to ensure science classrooms are optimum to engage all students in the learning.
This is a full-time hybrid (remote/onsite)position located in Lower RGV. Preference will be given to candidates who live in the RGV, or who are willing to relocate.
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities
In this role you will:
- Lead strategic initiatives to build instructional capacity in RGV, such as providing focused analysis to leaders, building content capacity through observation/coaching, designing professional development, and creating deliverables that address strategic curricular needs in regions.
- Observe in the field in region to identify instructional gaps and best practices in Science instruction and achievement.
- Develop and use analysis tools to support and coach implementation of best practices of delivery of Science instruction.
- Build capacity in school and regional leaders to ensure high-quality first instruction and data-driven interventions to close gaps.
- Design and post training materials as needed to address gaps in RGV schools.
- Employ “train the trainer” model of professional development in RGV to build capacity of campus leaders to deliver Science PD for their respective teachers.
- Design a balance of “just in time” sessions that support program implementation and sessions that respond to the gaps in data and those that highlight best practices.
- Partner with LV Team to design and deliver timely professional development that increases the ability of leaders, and ultimately teachers, to meet ambitious academic goals in science.
- Monitor, observe, and deliver feedback on professional development delivered in partnership with regional and campus leaders.
- Work with AST members to support content training in the RGV as needed.
- Partner with AST for consistent implementation of the IDEA Academic Program[CS1]
- Provide feedback to Program Team (AST) on what is working and what improvements are needed from teacher and leader training and in field observations.
- Collaborate with regional and national coaches to provide aligned, strategic coaching to support the success and development of campus leaders.
- Increase student achievement results to achieve 90/60/30 district goal for each content, each campus earning an A year 1 and beyond, and increase the number of AP scholars to above 30%.
- Schedule and lead coaching and support meetings with campus point people to analyze data and drive student achievement in their school.
- Share best practices and collaborate with AST on best practices to arrange observations and identify trends.
- Provide support, coaching and collaboration spaces for campuses implementing special programming related to science
What You Bring – Competencies
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s preferred
- Experience: 3+ years of teaching experience; 3+ years of school leadership (preferred)
- Experience designing and facilitating professional development.
- Extensive content knowledge in science
- Some experience is Science related programs and activities such as STEM/P-TECH
- Proven track record of achieving success and of leading others
- Must be able to travel withing RGV Region
Knowledge and Skills:[CS2]
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals are essential.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills.
- Persuasiveness and perseverance in attaining goals.
- Ability to communicate the project vision to internal and external audiences.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment in high-stakes circumstances.
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve.
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $62,800 and $76,000, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for performance pay based on organizational performance and goal attainment