Role Mission: The Director of Healthy Kids Here Program reports directly to IDEA’s Vice President of Student Health & Wellness and partners with all teams involved in the work of the Initiative—Health Services, Child Nutrition, Academic Services, Business Office, and campuses.
The Director of Healthy Kids Here program leads IDEA Public Schools to become the Healthiest School District in the nation. They do this largely through their leadership of the National Healthy Kids Here Committee and managing team members through influence to execute on committee initiatives. This person will also use their ability to manage through influence to coordinate and monitor all campus-based HKH committees and partner with multiple departments on the Academic Services team around health education.
The Healthy Kids Here Program Director also manages campus implementation of each state’s Wellness Policy through professional development delivered to all school leaders, teachers, CNP, health services staff, and business clerks. Additionally, they will serve as a key partner in all HKH-related programming and events at IDEA. This includes, but is not limited to, the Student Health Report Card, 5Ks, the annual IDEA Cookbook, and after-school programs and clubs. The Director of Healthy Kids Here program is also in charge of partnering with school leaders and the National Marketing and Communications team to create and manage a consistent, year-long communication plan to include, educate, and invest IDEA families.
What We Offer
- Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $82,090 and $100,971, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on organizational performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, generous vacation time, referral bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Lead efforts across the District to solidify partnerships with local organizations to provide critical care and social services for students.
- Work with Regional Registered Nurses, HKH coordinator, and other cross-functional support staff to identify community partners in every region to provide care for students. Services will support in areas such as health screenings, immunizations, food access, and other social services, and the compliance associated with providing these services
- Collaborate with Development team to identify funding sources for grants and partnerships
- Collaborate with Health Services Administrator to oversee Risk Management & Contract process of providing partnered services on campuses throughout the district.
By the end of each school year, 85% of campuses receive recognition from AHG, with the goal of ensuring all IDEA schools are awarded by 2025.
- Work with national HKH committee to devise a year-long plan to achieve certification and monitors successful execution
- Lead implementation of IDEA’s Wellness Policy, provide continuous guidance on Healthy Kids Here to every IDEA school through communication and training with school and HQ staff, ensuring fidelity of the Policy across the District.
- Train health services team (campus based HKH leads) to launch and oversee HKH strategic initiatives
- As part of strategic planning, determine Healthy Kids Here-related programming and events and ensures successful implementation. This programing includes, but it is not limited to: Student Health Report Cards, IDEA 5Ks and the annual IDEA Cookbook
- Meet with all campus-based committee leads (Health Aides/Nurses) monthly to train & coach on goal setting and implementation of key application criteria for staff, students, and staff.
- Train and manage HKH Campus leads to recruit, launch, and track HKH initiatives on campus as aligned with Alliance for Healthier Generation criteria.
- Develop a year-long application process with monthly benchmarks to ensure every school is on track to submit a competitive application by annual deadline.
- Identify national and regional partnerships who provide student, family and staff services to provide to campuses which align with AHG criteria.
Leads cross-functional Healthy Kids Here efforts with the goal of increasing health education provided to students and healthy habit development as evidence by implementation of Health Education at 50% of IDEA campuses.
- Set the strategic direction and implementation of HKH, with a particular emphasis on improving the nutritional content of the food IDEA serves in its schools, increasing physical activity during the school day and after, as well as delivering comprehensive education programs to students and their families that drive a healthy and active lifestyle
- Responsible for developing, and delivering effective training, and ensuring accountability of all HKH team members, with a particular emphasis on the health services team.
- Increases visibility of HKH progress by developing clear data-based metrics of success and the tracking mechanisms associated with them
Lead National Healthy Kids Here Committee & campus-based efforts resulting in a 4.5 rating on Panorama parent survey to show parent awareness of HKH program.
- Facilitate monthly meetings with cross-departmental leaders to develop district-wide initiatives focused on student and family engagement with HKH program.
- Meets with all campus-based committee members regularly to learn about HKH events on campus and help problem-solve as needed.
- Partner with Program Innovation team to develop a state-wide health education curriculum to be implemented at every IDEA campus by 2025.
- Serve as national liaison for Healthy Kids Here Program to national, state, and local stakeholders and partners which includes serving as a steering committee member on boards such as Unidos Contra La Diabetes.
Partner with HKH Coordinator in ensuring creation and distribution of Student Health Report Cards in January and May to 100% of families registered in Parent Portal.
- Collaborate with internal IT & Data Systems teams to ensure timely and correct access to required data points in HOA & Internal Data Warehouse.
- Monitor collection & tracking of data needed to populate student health report cards. This may include but is not limited to health & weight screenings, BMI, and parent portal sign-ups.
- Manage communication and distribution plan with HKH Coordinator to ensure all families enrolled in the Parent Portal receive the Student Health Report Card. And have the tools & resources needed to interpret data and seek additional care if needed.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of professional experience, at least 2 of which are in public health or school health services
- At least 2 years of people management experience
- Experience: family or community organization or outreach
- Bilingual preferred
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and expertise in public health
- Skill in organization, prioritization, follow through, and attention to detail
- Skill in effective and interpersonal communication, both verbal and written, with ability to clearly explain and invest others in recruitment plans and goals
- Skill in building strong relationships and mutually beneficial business partnerships through trust, empathy, and credibility
- Skill in designing professional development and coaching others
- Ability to manage and monitor multiple projects at once, often under pressure with competing priorities and tight turnarounds while maintaining composure, ensuring quality, and achieving results
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and excellent decision-making
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and statistics to identify trends, draw conclusions, and develop strategies and tactics that that yield results and achieve goals
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.