Director of Accounting
As Director of Accounting, you will provide accurate and timely financial information to IDEA stakeholders as well as to ensure compliance with federal and state financial reporting and compliance guidelines for all entities. The Director of Accounting reports to the Managing Director of Accounting.
Includes staff accountants and accounting clerks.
This is a full-time hybrid position based in Texas with preference given to candidates who live in Austin, El Paso, Houston, Permian Basin (Midland/Odessa), Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, and Tarrant County (Fort Worth), or who are willing to relocate.
Up to 20% of the time during the busiest parts of the year
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities
In this role you will:
- Drive strategies to complete month end close for all entities by the 10th business day for all entities.
- Review and approve journal entries and cash receipts submitted by Staff Accountants and Accounting Clerks.
- Review and approve Statement of Financial Position reconciliations prepared by Staff Accountants, monthly, to ensure proper supporting documentation is provided and amounts are following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Financial Accounting Standards Board and the Texas Education Agency Financial Accountability System Resource Guide.
- Review Statement of Activities (for transaction classes) monthly to determine reasonableness of amounts, detect potential errors and analyze significant variances.
- Review Balance Sheets by Fund on a quarterly basis to determine reasonableness of amounts, detect potential errors and analyze significant variances.
- Analyze and re-engineer business processes to achieve business goals related to the Accounting Department.
- Identify technical problems and develop solutions to support business objectives
- Analyze and identify business process optimization
- Manage and mentor cross functional team to successfully execute business projects
- Ensure that an adequate project plan is developed to implement the new business process
- Collaborate with Department Leaders to plan and lead improvement projects
- Ensure grant spending and grantor payments are on-track in partnership with the Advancement and Compliance Team and other Finance Teams across all entities.
- Serve as the expert on grant compliance and interpretation of relevant federal requirements including EDGAR and the Uniform Guidance, as well as other related Federal and State regulations and legislation and board policy.
- Lead high level monitoring and reporting of IDEA’s grant portfolio (philanthropy, state & federal)
- Conduct monthly check-ins with external and internal evaluation partners on progress towards the agreed upon scope of work, milestones and deliverables
- Review and approval of payroll registers and payroll liability invoices for all entities before these are processed for payment.
- Drive strategies to prepare and post journal entries related to Payroll as identified in the Month End Close Processing Checklist.
- Review and approval of account reconciliations related to Payroll Liabilities by the dates outlined in the Month End Close Processing List.
- Federal Income Taxes
- FICA & Medicare Taxes
- Group Health Insurance
- Teacher Retirement
- Other Payroll Deductions
- Worker’s Compensation
- Accrued Salaries
- Review and approval of payroll deduction invoices for Accounts Payable processing and process payments that must be made via wire transfer.
- FICA & Medicare
- Other Payroll deductions
- Collaborate with the Payroll Department, Position Control, and Grant accountant to identify and process account code changes identified in review.
- Support the timely and efficient execution of personnel actions
- Process payment of payroll registers timely.
- Actively participate with the accounting and payroll teams to create an environment of trust, respect and encouragement.
- Collaborate closely with the payroll department to review and approve all payrolls timely.
- Inform payroll department of discrepancies that need correction
- Collaborate with the payroll department to project annual payroll expenses and accuracy.
- Drive Strategies between payroll, position control, accounting and budget departments to reconcile:
- Federal and State grant rosters to position control
- TRS variances by employee and track adjustments as correction are made
- Communicate with IDEA senior leaders about overall progress and engage as needed to provide guidance or accountability
- Ensure no reportable instances of material noncompliance in Financial Reporting and Compliance during the Annual Financial Audit.
- Keep current on new and upcoming standards related to Financial Reporting and Compliance.
- Attend trainings related to Financial Reporting and Compliance provided by AICPA, TSCPA, TASBO, TEA and Region One.
- Update local Financial Reporting Manual to document current processes and controls over financial reporting as well as Local and Federal Grant policies and procedures.
- Ensure required inventory requirements are met for all entities.
- Serve as a business partner to managers within the organization to ensure proper business processes are followed.
- Provide guidance to managers regarding the allowability of activities according to IDEA’s charter as well as federal and state regulations.
- Provide guidance related to internal controls and segregation of duties to managers implementing new business processes.
- Facilitate training related to Fixed Assets.
What You Bring – Competencies
Knowledge and Skills:
- Non-profit accounting and auditing principles established by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) for Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Well-rounded knowledge of the following transaction classes:
• Fixed Assets
• General Accounting
• Intracompany Accounting
- Evaluate accounting problems, develop data, and recommend improvement procedures
- Exhibits and cultivates high customer service centric approach to the accounting process
- Bachelors degree in accounting or finance-related field preferred
- 5 years professional-level experience in high volume, deadline critical accounting environment, preferably in school districts
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including PowerPoint, experience with Employee Information Systems, Enrollment Platforms, and other benefits databases.
What We Offer:
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $91,100 and $112,900, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for performance pay based on organizational performance and goal attainment
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
Learn more about IDEA
At IDEA the Staff Culture and Belonging Team uses our Core Values to promote human connection and a culture of integrity, respect, and belonging for all Team and Family members. Learn more about our Commitment to Core Values here: https://ideapublicschools.org/our-story/#core-values