Managing Director of HR Compliance & Risk Management
The Managing Director of Compliance & Risk Management leads staff compliance, risk management, and employee credentialing for an organization with over 12,000 employees across 11 regions in 4 states. The ideal candidate will have significant experience and expertise in these areas, along with the ability to create and implement a vision and execute on a plan to deliver intended outcomes throughout our organization, in support of our mission of 100% College For All.
This is a remote role, however, the MD of Compliance and Risk Management must currently live in or be willing to relocate to Texas, with preference for one of our regions in Austin, El Paso, Houston, Permian Basin, San Antonio, Tarrant County, or Rio Grande Valley.
Travel Expectations: up to 10% of the time during the busiest parts of the year
What You’ll Do- Accountabilities
In this role you will:
- Evaluate and improve policies, systems, and operations to enhance employee and manager experience
- Design and implement organizational compliance management programs to streamline compliance, risk management, and governance practices across the organization
- Ensure controls are in place that identify and mitigate risk for the organization
- Structure and manage multi-state insurance programs, including but not limited to property, casualty, unemployment, and worker’s compensation
- Develop the vision, strategy, training, and key performance indicators for compliance with all laws, rules, and regulations dealing with personnel, student business, and operational issues
- Ensure IDEA remains in good standing with all authorizers, legal agencies, and stakeholders (TEA, DOL, USDOE, External Auditors, Charter Authorizers, SBEC, TRS) through comprehensive compliance planning, monitoring, and continual updates aligned with laws and regulatory requirements
- Ensure all IDEA staff know their compliance responsibilities and can track their progress toward completion of high-quality compliance training
- Partner with department leaders to surface and track training requirements by department and role
- Produce comprehensive, easy-to-use Employee Handbooks for each state, updated annually
- Create systems to document and track all professional requirements for all roles at IDEA across all states
- Ensure all staff are appropriately registered for required credentials and in compliance with state and federal expectations
- Ensure all staff can complete, track, and document required professional development for their role, especially where it must be completed in partnership with local districts
- Develop strong business partnerships with stakeholders across the organization such that at least 95% are satisfied or highly satisfied with the quality of the work
What You Bring – Competencies
Required Experience and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: HR professional credential preferred: PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP (SPHR or SHRM-SCP preferred)
- At least 10 years of experience in Human Capital and HR
- At least 3 years of successful management experience
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and expertise in compliance, risk management, and credentialing
- Knowledge, experience, and passion for building and maintaining a culture of high integrity, mutual respect, operational excellence, and prioritization of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Skill in critical-thinking and problem-solving, along with the ability to coach and develop these in others
- Skill in organization, prioritization, follow through, and attention to detail
- Skill in effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Skill in leading effective organization-wide change management
- Able to manage and monitor multiple projects at once, often under pressure with competing priorities and tight turnarounds while maintaining composure, ensuring quality, and achieving results
- Able to build strong relationships and mutually beneficial business partnerships through trust, empathy, and credibility
- Able to demonstrate sound judgment, excellent decision-making, and self-reflection for continuous improvement
- Able to analyze and interpret data and statistics to identify trends, draw conclusions, and develop strategies and tactics that that yield results and achieve goals
- Able to advocate, influence, motivate, and hold others accountable through consistency and clarity of expectations
- Able to design, evaluate, and improve existing policies and procedures to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency
- Able to achieve quantifiable results through commitment, personal responsibility, and accountability
- Able to provide, receive, and implement feedback that improves performance and achieves results
What We Offer:
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $103,800 and $129,600, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for performance pay based on organizational performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
* IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Submit your application online through Jobvite. Please note that applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Learn more about IDEA
At IDEA the Staff Culture and Belonging Team uses our Core Values to promote human connection and a culture of integrity, respect, and belonging for all Team and Family members. Learn more about our Commitment to Core Values here: https://ideapublicschools.org/our-story/#core-values