Role Mission: The Director of Health and Wellness Compliance and Training is the subject matter expert in researching, implementing, and monitoring local, state, and federal guidelines to ensure compliance of the IDEA’s Health & Wellness Department. The Compliance and Training Director is responsible for executing all phases of audit compliance and state reporting across all states in which IDEA operates. This includes meetings with internal and external auditors, coordinating with internal stakeholders, and preparing all documentation required. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to writing and publishing standard operating procedures for the department, archiving documentation appropriately and presenting documentation upon request, meeting with representatives of agencies that have oversight of the program and ensuring all areas of the program meet or exceed all levels of compliance.
What We Offer
- Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $91,120 and $112,989, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on organizational performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, generous vacation time, referral bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Design and implement department audit program in alignment with local, state, and federal guidelines
- Develop and implement internal control metrics and establish systems to track compliance progress
- Design training sessions for headquarters and campus staff as it relates to audit readiness and course correction
- Provide direction, consultation, and supervision to health services staff; consult with regional and national staff and school-based staff on individual cases and on interpretation of federal, state, and local policies and procedures
- Evaluate current internal and external monitoring process to identify gaps and provide recommendations for course correction
Lead special projects to enable IDEA Public Schools to remain compliant in all areas of Health Services work
- Initiate formal communication with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies to provide timely response to all inquiries
- Write and update Health Services content for annual Student Code of Conduct Handbook to ensure regulatory compliance in each state
- Write and submit corrective action plans as appropriate to local, state, and federal regulatory agencies
- Independently study legislative updates, legal briefings, and education entity writings to understand health services requirements and updates
- Partner with legal counsel and IDEA compliance department to ensure policies follow all state requirements
- Partner with contracted services staff to ensure compliance in operations
- Lead Health & Wellness Department in school health services billing in alignment with state and federal allowances
- Ensure annual state reports submitted on time and with 100% accuracy for screenings, immunizations, etc.
Complete new program requirements for new state launch
- Meet with local, state, and federal officials to ensure compliance in the programs we offer in each state
- Cascade changes in state and federal guidelines internally to appropriate department or senior leadership
- Design mechanisms to stress test internal process and procedures to ensure they meet local, state, and federal guidelines
- Support in leading new program launch with review of all necessary documentation, updates as necessary, and coordination between campus leadership and H&W leadership so there is open communication and transparency in program requirements
- Serve as liaison to Growth and regional teams to ensure shared understanding of school health services requirements
Update and create trainings and standard operation procedures necessary to keep the Health & Wellness Department compliant in each respective state
- Develop and lead trainings designed to maintain or improve compliant operations for clinic operations and state requirements with campus lead and operations staff such as but not limited to Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse, Health Aides, APOs, and Principals
- Create and or refine standard operating procedures and trainings to ensure they are relevant and current
- Collaborate with other functional leaders for any procedures which have yet to be published to support in the development of a new document/training to best benefit our team
- Collect information and trainings from state entities to implement at the regional and district level
- Create and deliver robust onboarding for campus and regional-based Health & Wellness staff
Schools in operation with proper clinic setup and training delivered to all staff completed by the first day of school
- Assist with reviewing student care plans and ensuring proper care is provided
- Facilitate annual safety trainings for campus-based staff such as but not limited to CPR/First Aid, Stop the Bleed, and student-specific care plans as needed
- Visit campuses in various regions as requested to conduct in-field observations for high acuity students
- Conduct scheduled and random audits to evaluate proper documentation of student records and clinic operations
- Ensure documentation is archived in alignment with recordkeeping requirements for all headquarters and campus-based staff
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students can get to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism, and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Regional Registered Nurses: RGV (3), El Paso (1), Florida (2)
- Mission and Vision Focus – fundamentally believe that when the adults in the system get it right, student achievement and success follow
- Record of Results – achieve established goals and continuously improve to move the needle in results year over year
- Problem Solving – identify problems, collaborate, influence, and recommend solutions and take action to resolve
- Business Partnership – view every opportunity as a chance to meaningfully partner with leaders and staff to achieve outcomes
- Communication – be honest, objective, and confident, adjusting communication style to influence and motivate action and behaviors
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience: 5+ years of experience in health services required; school health services preferred
- Experience: 2+ years of full-time adult management experience required
- Experience: 2+ years of adult education planning, educational content development, and facilitation skills
- Licenses or Certifications: Registered Nurse licensure state of Texas
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong understanding of federal and state audit processes for internal, external, single audits and state audit reviews
- Strong computer literacy is required with a hyper focus on the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong time management and able to meet deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to interpret complex documents and policies.
- Demonstrate flexibility, adaptability and takes initiative in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Business awareness and knowledge of management practices.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills and able to internalize feedback.
- Strong character to implement policy & procedures.
- Ability to work irregular hours during peak times through the year.
- Ability to handle 25% travel within state and other states where IDEA Public Schools has presence.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
At IDEA the Staff Culture and Belonging Team uses our Core Values to promote human connection and a culture of integrity, respect, and belonging for all Team and Family members. Learn more about our Commitment to Core Values here: https://ideapublicschools.org/our-story/#core-values
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.