Role Mission: As a member of the campus leadership team, the Director of College Counseling oversees the graduation plan and college enrollment for all students at their assigned campus. The Director of College Counseling (DCC) manages the college counseling team comprised of College Counselors (CCs) and Road To and Through College Teachers (RTTC Teachers). In this capacity, the DCC supervises initiatives to educate students about college education and help students navigate the college research, admissions, and enrollment process.
This is a full-time remote position, with preference given to candidates who are willing to relocate to the region. This role will require up to approximately 25% travel annually. Typically, this will look like travel for districtwide events and occasional monthly travel to schools and professional development opportunities.
What We Offer
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $78,141 and $95,332, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on team performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250 maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget availability.
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. IDEA may offer a relocation allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
What You Bring -- Competencies
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience: 3+ years of professional experience in K-12 education, higher education, or a related field, required; 1+ years of college access experience or higher education, preferred; Experience managing people or teams, highly preferred
- Certificate: Valid Counseling certificate preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
- Experience in college admissions is preferable
- Ability to build solid student and family relationships
- Strong command of the English language both verbal and written
- Ability to manage other adults to achieve ambitious outcomes
- Proven track record of results with student academic progress
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities
Matriculation and College Acceptance
- 100% of graduates matriculate to a College/University
- 25% of graduating students matriculate to a Tier I/Tier II College/University
- 15% of graduating students matriculate to a Tier I College/University
- 100% of 9th-12th graders On Track to Graduate (OTG)
- 21 average ACT score for 12th graders by end of 12th grade
- 85% college counseling team retention
- Manage and oversee college enrollment campaigns (quality applications campaign, financial aid campaign, matriculation campaign) for the campus
- Supervise and motivate CCs and RTTC teachers towards college enrollment, Tier 1, and Tier 2 college matriculation, improving ACT scores and OTG rates
- Administer the school’s master schedule, schedule all students, and audit transcripts for appropriate course placement
- Administer operating mechanisms that supervise, coach and support CCs, and RTTC teachers
- Initiate and oversee initiatives that improve the quality of student applicants and, in turn, the quality of college admissions and college enrollments
- Report progress towards goals to national, regional and campus leadership and advise on schoolwide pivots necessary to deliver results
- Analyze data dashboards, resources, and communications to meet benchmarked results
- Execute high quality professional development for campus staff that promote a college-going culture
- Enforce procedures that both meet college readiness compliance requirements and create transformational practices that improve college completion rates
- Support RTTC teachers in planning college field lessons and ACT prep lessons
- Design college-going culture initiatives with students and families based on trust, understanding, and respect for their community
- Participate and encourage CCs and RTTC teachers to participate in professional development from national and external stakeholders
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Staff Culture and Belonging
At IDEA the Staff Culture and Belonging Team uses our Core Values to promote human connection and a culture of integrity, respect, and belonging for all Team and Family members. Learn more about our Commitment to Core Values here!
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.