School Year: 2022-2023
Location: IDEA Frontier Academy
Region: Lower Rio Grande Valley, TX
Job Type: Part-Time
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA’s mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.
Tutors will work with students during school and will focus on specific objectives as well as provide additional practice, guidance, and one on one attention in the Road to and Through College classrooms.
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities
· Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve student achievement and manage work related tasks.
· Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to campus- wide initiatives while developing students’ character and sense of community in the classroom
· Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
· Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
· Determine from student notes and discussions, the concepts that need to be taught or
· Become familiar with the materials in the RTTC (Road to and through College) Libraries.
· Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by our students.
· Conduct tutorial sessions in all areas of math and science or language arts and humanities.
· Conduct mini-lessons in the process of writing in all subject areas, study skills, and
other aspects of college preparation.
· Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming,
clustering, revision, and editing.
· Communicate frequently and honestly with the College counseling team/teacher regarding
student progress and areas of concern.
· Host necessary tutoring sessions to meet all students’ needs
· Minimum of 10-20 hours spent at school per week
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
· Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
· Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
· Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
· Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
· Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
· Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
· Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
· We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable): None
What You Bring -- Competencies:
· Education: minimum of 60 hours of college credit with a minimum 2.5 GPA
Knowledge and Skills:
· Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
· Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
· Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
· Knowledge of subject assigned
· Creative problem solving and team skills
What We Offer
· Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $10 for 0 years of experience and $12.50
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. It is recommended that you include a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in IDEA and how your experience has prepared you for this position.