Role Mission: RISE stands for Reaching Independence through Student Education. IDEA RISE Intervention Specialists are special education teachers who ensure our students with the most significant disabilities are held to very high achievement expectations so that they reach their fullest potential. Our IDEA RISE Intervention Specialists provide resources, education, training and emotional support to the families they serve so families are prepared for long-term plans for their children.
All IDEA teachers are responsible for ensuring that every IDEA student masters the academic, behavioral and social skills necessary to succeed in college, while also embodying IDEA’s values daily. IDEA teachers set ambitious goals for student achievement and diligently track student data to drive effective educational programming decisions. IDEA teachers seek feedback and continue to develop their teaching practice to better serve IDEA students.
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities
- Adapt lessons to meet the needs of students
- Support coordination of related services for students on their caseload
- Develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Implement IEPs, assess students’ performance, and track their progress
- Update IEPs throughout the school year to reflect students’ progress and goals
- Assess students’ skills to determine their needs and to develop teaching plans
- Collect and analyze student data in order to make effective decisions to maximize achievement
- Discuss student’s progress with parents, teachers, counselors, and administrators
- Prepare and help students transition from grade to grade and after graduation
- Implement state learning standards and IDEA curricula and assessments to meet ambitious academic expectations
- Submit weekly lesson plans two weeks in advance for feedback
- Implement formal and informal assessments to track each individual student’s progress and learning needs, adjust lesson plans accordingly and update gradebook weekly
- Communicate students’ progress with student and family on a weekly basis
- Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve student achievement and manage work related tasks.
- Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to campus- wide initiatives while developing students’ character and sense of community in the classroom
- Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
- Host necessary tutoring sessions to meet all students’ needs
- Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions
- Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development
- Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week
- Additional responsibilities may include: after-school tutoring or Saturday school and are based on the needs of our scholars
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable):
- Oversee the daily work and responsibilities of a Special Education Co-Teacher (para-professional) in the RISE classroom.
What You Bring -- Competencies
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Experience: Experience in a Special Education classroom setting with students who have significant disabilities
- Licenses or Certifications: valid Ohio Intervention Specialist license specializing in Moderate/Intensive special needs.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
- Ability to facilitate Admission, Review and Dismissal meetings
- Strong family engagement and communication
- Record of results for students who are academically at risk
What We Offer
- Teacher salary starting at $47,500 with additional pay commensurate with experience.
- This role is eligible for various stipend opportunities and incentives through our Teacher Career Pathway. For more information about our compensation and total rewards, visit our benefits page.
- Additional hourly compensation is provided for after school tutoring or Saturday school as assigned
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.