This job posting is no longer active.
School Year: 2022-2023
Location: IDEA Kyle College Prep
Region: Greater Austin, TX
Job Type: Part-Time
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
Austin is a vibrant city filled with a rich cultural heritage and is ranked as the #1 Best Place to Live for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. The city of Austin is the state capital and holds the ranking as the 11th largest city in the United States. Currently, Austin is home to 16 of IDEA’s schools and serves nearly 7,800 students at campuses in Greater Austin.
In a city that is a hub for knowledge, IDEA is working to support the community through education, which is the single most effective anti-poverty strategy we possess as a nation. This is why we focus on AP courses for all students, college acceptance, and matriculation. Only 1 in 8 Austin students graduate college ready. Changing this statistic is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students. Our goal is to serve over 10,000 students by 2022.
Role Mission: Tutors will work with students during school and will focus on specific objectives as well as provide additional
practice, guidance, and one on one attention in the Road to and Through College classrooms.
What You’ll Do -- Accountabilities
• Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve student
achievement and manage work related tasks.
• Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to campus- wide initiatives while
developing students’ character and sense of community in the classroom
• Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for
• Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust,
understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
• Determine from student notes and discussions, the concepts that need to be taught or
• Become familiar with the materials in the RTTC (Road to and through College) Libraries.
• Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by our students.
• Conduct tutorial sessions in all areas of math and science or language arts and humanities.
• Conduct mini-lessons in the process of writing in all subject areas, study skills, and
other aspects of college preparation.
• Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming,
clustering, revision, and editing.
• Communicate frequently and honestly with the College counseling team/teacher regarding
student progress and areas of concern.
• Host necessary tutoring sessions to meet all students’ needs
• Minimum of 10-20 hours spent at school per week
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
• Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to
and through college
• Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
• Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
• Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
• Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
• Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
• Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
• We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors
as models for our colleagues and students
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable): None
What You Bring -- Competencies:
• Education: minimum of 60 hours of college credit with a minimum 2.5 GPA
Knowledge and Skills:
• Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
• Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
• Knowledge of subject assigned
• Creative problem solving and team skills
What We Offer
• Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate of $14.50
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and
subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans,
disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits,
referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are
encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving
for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. It is recommended
that you include a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in IDEA and how your experience has
prepared you for this position.