Role Mission: The Regional Registered Nurse (RN) at IDEA Public Schools is responsible for supporting the health and wellness of all students at assigned campuses and provides technical supervision and guidance to campus health aides in the region. Regional RN will visit portfolio campuses on a weekly rotation schedule, traveling 3-4 days per week, to provide ongoing support. The Regional RN works as part of the national Health and Wellness Department and reports to the Director.
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
100% of Health Services provided to students in a timely and consistent manner
- Ensure high-quality care provided in clinics by utilizing professional triage skills, basic care, and established district health protocols.
- Assess student needs and make appropriate referrals as needed, including implementation of Individual Education Plan (IEP) items.
- Serve on Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) committee, communicating with healthcare providers regarding student needs. Collect updated paperwork, assess care needed, and provide medical guidance.
- Train and delegate skills to Health Aides (CNA, RMA) based on student needs and MD orders, and district Standing Orders. Skills delegated may include but are not limited to catheterization, Diabetic Management, etc.
- Participate in health-related school committees such as Healthy Kids Here, focused on student health and wellness.
- Communicate regularly with the Assistant Principals and Regional Director of Operations, HQ Health and Wellness staff, school counselor, teachers, parents, food services staff, and other staff regarding health services issues.
- Partner with Health Aide and Assistant Principal of Operations to implement practices to keep students healthy and able to attend school including, but not limited to:
- Encourage handwashing on the campus by providing signage and training.
- Disseminate videos to teachers on healthy eating and healthy habits they can watch during breakfast in the classroom.
- Ensure proper disinfection techniques are utilized when an infectious student has been identified.
- On-site vaccination clinics
100% required for students screened with findings resolved
- Maintain screening certification with State Health Department (Vision/Hearing/Spinal).
- Register with Border Health for Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) log-in to website and certification.
- Develop plans and identify resources to help students and families resolve all screening findings (ex. finding of vision impairment, resolution = connecting student with eyeglass providers and voucher for payment).
- Assist with all required screenings for Vision, Hearing, Spinal, Acanthosis.
- Ensure all data submitted to the state annually by deadline with 100% accuracy.
100% of students have all state required immunizations within 30 days of the first day of school and kept current through the LDOS
- Collect, review and enter immunization records. Ensure records are compliant for returning scholars on first day of school and new to district within first 30 days of school. Scholars must remain compliant throughout the school year.
- Educate parents on the importance of vaccines, with the only unvaccinated students being those who have legal exemptions.
- Manage all vaccination record keeping and auditing.
- Schedule and manage on-site vaccination clinics.
- Ensure all students are compliant and data is prepared and submitted by state deadline
100% of schools are fully operational by the first day of school, and continue to be so throughout the year
- Audit campus clinics to ensure all equipment and supplies are in working condition and clinic is fully operational to serve students on the first day of school.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and electronic reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic visits, student action plans, doctor’s orders, etc.
- Provide annual training for Rapid Response Team, including CPR and Stop the Bleed certification, ensuring every campus is prepared to respond to a medical emergency.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, State Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in health services area.
- Report potential health and safety hazards to the campus Assistant Principal of Operations and Health Director.
- Comply with all district and campus regulations.
85% retention of Health Services staff in region
- Schedule campus visits to work with each Health Aide every week.
- Develop a relationship of trust and confidence with each Health Aide in region, helping them understand their roles and responsibilities.
- Develop relationships with campus and regional leadership to support Health Services goals and operations.
- Provide technical support and training, as needed.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
IDEA COVID Response:
- Work with Human Resource Department to facilitate COVID response for both staff and students
- Report COVID cases to local and state health departments
- Assist with coordination of campus leadership, impacted staff and student communication
- Educate Health Aides and campus staff on COVID Strong Start Health and Safety Protocols
- Facilitate training and on-campus support of COVID testing
- Education: Associate's Degree Required, Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- Experience: 2+ years of nursing experience required; school-based experience preferred, adult education/training experience preferred
- Experience: Adult education/training experience preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: Registered Nurse licensure required
- Licenses or Certification: CPR Instructor certification preferred
- Bilingual preferred
- Required: Ability to travel up to 3-4 days per week across region to visit portfolio campuses required
What We Offer
- Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $66,626 and $80,618, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.