Role Mission: The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is primarily responsible for providing health services to students, conducting state-mandated screenings, maintaining 100% immunization state compliance, and maintaining accurate files. The LPN is responsible for leading the campus clinic on his/her own, serving a campus with up to 1,600 students enrolled. The school LPN is also responsible for promoting health education and preventative health practices for students.
All clinic staff report directly to the campus Assistant Principal of Operations (APO). All medical and compliance for the district is directed to the Director of Health and Wellness.
Campus LPNs will be placed in the Academy, primarily serving K-5 students, though care to all students K-12 will be offered.
- Provide direct care utilizing professional triage skills, basic care, and established school health protocols.
- Manage campus clinic independently which can serve up to 1,600 students.
- Serve as a health advocate for students.
- Notify parents of accidents or illnesses and secure medical care for students in emergency cases.
- Coordinate management system to administer medications to students at school.
- Establish and implement effective procedures for mandatory screening programs. Make referrals as necessary.
- Ensure scholars are compliant with immunization per state requirements.
- Serve as a health liaison between school, physicians, parents, and community.
- Assess student problems and make appropriate referrals working with students, teachers, parents, and medical and health care professionals, as needed.
- Participate in health-related school committees focused on student health and wellness.
- Collaborate with other professionals regarding implementation of health-related Individual Education Plan (IEP) items.
- Participate in recognizing and reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Make home visits to help with student health problems as necessary with permission of principal.
- Communicate regularly with the Assistant Principal of Operations, Regional Registered Nurse, school counselor, teachers, parents, food services staff, and other staff regarding health services issues.
- Collect, review, and enter immunization records. Ensure records are compliant per state requirements and remain compliant throughout the school year.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and electronic reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic visits, student action plans, doctor’s orders, etc.
- Request supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic inventory.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, state department of health rules, State Board of Education rules, and board policy in health services area.
- Report potential health and safety hazards to the campus Assistant Principal of Operations.
- Comply with all district and campus routines and regulation
- Maintain licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse/Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Maintain certification in CPR/First Aid as well as certification as state-approved vision, hearing, spinal, and AN health screener.
- Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- High School diploma or GED (required)
- LVN or LPN licensure (required)
- Current certification in CPR/AED/ First Aid (required)
- Certified by the state department of state health services to conduct vision, hearing, spinal, and AN screenings (preferred)
- Knowledge of basic first aid and cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Knowledge of Diabetic care management
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Proficient keyboarding and electronic file maintenance skills
- Ability to use laptop and software to develop and populate databases and do word processing
- Ability to track, enter, analyze, and monitor data
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- Ability to manage time, prioritize tasks, and execute toward goals
- 2+ years’ experience in a health-related position required.
- Experience with school-age children preferred.
- Experience maintaining electronic health records preferred.
What We Offer
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.