Grant Compliance Audit Manager will be responsible for managing all Federal, State, and Philanthropic grant audits as set forth by IDEA Public School’s Board Audit Committee through the annual audit plan. In addition, the Grant Compliance Audit Manager will provide other assurance, consulting, and assurance services for the management of grants, such as but not limited to, continuous monitoring of grant compliance, consulting and advisory services for new and existing grants, and risk assessment over grants. The Grant Compliance Audit Manager will report directly to the Director of Internal Audit for assignment and planning of audits and other duties. On-site travel will be limited for this role.
This is a full-time position with remote or in-person availability based in Texas with preference given to candidates who live in Austin, El Paso, Houston, Permian Basin (Midland/Odessa), Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, and Tarrant County (Fort Worth), or who are willing to relocate.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $73,900 and $90,200 commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on team performance and goal attainment.
Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package. You can find more information about our benefits at https://ideapublicschools.org/careers/benefits/.
IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
In this role you will:
Prepare an annual specialized risk assessment of all Federal, State and Local Grants for presentation to audit committee by July 1st.
- Assist the Director of Internal Audit with the evaluation of controls and assessment of risk of all grants to determine the need for internal audit engagements.
- Lead the preparation of data and schedules needed to complete the grant risk assessment report for presentation to Audit Committee.
- Maintain an open line of communications with grant management to continuously identify potential risks to grants.
- Conduct periodic risk assessments to adjust audit plans to areas with higher concentrations of risk.
Lead all continuous monitoring projects over grants to assess overall compliance including programmatic and fiscal requirements.
- Assist the Director of Internal Audit with the definition and identification of criteria, objectives, risks, and procedures for the continuous monitoring of grants.
- Manage the timing and scheduling of all monitoring activities over grants in coordination with the Director of Internal Audit.
- Maintain open lines of communication with grant management and keep them updated on the commencement and progression of monitoring engagements.
- Manage and lead the identification of criteria, current condition of operations and controls, and recommendations for the completion of monitoring engagement reports.
Coordinate the completion of 100% of the audits on the internal audit plan related to Federal, State and Local/Philanthropic grants including the assignment of planning and fieldwork tasks amongst internal audit team.
- Assist the Director of Internal Audit with the definition and identification of criteria, audit objectives, audit risks, and procedures for all grant audits on the internal audit plan.
- Manage the timing and scheduling of all grant audit engagements on the annual audit plan, including staff auditor assignments in coordination with the Director of Internal Audit.
- Maintain open lines of communication with grant management and keep them updated on the commencement and progression of internal audit engagements.
- Manage and lead the identification of audit criteria, current condition of operations and controls and recommendations for the completion of audit reports.
- Ensure all necessary stakeholders attend entrance and exit meetings or are independently briefed on the results of discussion and actions from these meetings.
- Maintain the highest levels of independence and remain free from interference to permit maintenance of a necessary independent and objective mental attitude.
- Ensure compliance with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards).
Assist Director of Internal Audit with the verification and testing of corrective action plan implementations by management derived from external and internal audit engagements.
- Conduct periodic verifications of management’s efforts to address previously identified deficiencies.
- Maintain a schedule of outstanding corrective action plans and monitor their implementation for the coordination of verification procedures.
- Prepare reports for the Director of Internal Audit and Audit Committee of the Board of grant related corrective action plans and the most recent evaluations of their implementation.
Manage and coordinate consulting services and support to all levels of grant management including departments and functions in charge of compliance, programmatic and fiscal requirements of grants.
- Support management on the interpretation of rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Lead research of policy and regulations for analysis and provide guidance to internal audit team and management on any changes.
- Maintain proficiency in grant administration including the latest updates to 2 CFR Part 200, Uniform Guidance, and Texas Education Agency rules and guidelines.
Lead the internal and external quality control strategy as required by professional standards for all grant internal audits and complete 100% of the quality control program in coordination with the Director of Internal Audit and the Internal Audit Manager.
- Manage the completion of all quality control strategies and their incorporation into all internal audit engagements.
- Assist Internal Audit Manager with the assignment of responsibilities amongst the internal audit team on the completion of documentation of engagements within the internal audit drive and the HighBond audit management system.
- Assist Internal Audit Manager with the maintenance of a current standard operating procedures manual that incorporates all procedures and functions regarding the completion of internal audit engagements.
- Education: bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business required; master’s degree in business administration, or accounting strongly preferred.
- Experience: 5+ years of experience auditing federal programs preferably as internal auditor for a charter school or independent school district.
- License or Certification: Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor preferred.
Individual Contributor Language – As part of the Internal Audit team, you will contribute to reaching the following ambitious goals:
- Obtain no material weaknesses on internal controls or compliance on the annual external audit engagement for areas that underwent an internal audit in the past 2 years.
- Achieve an audit completion rate of at least 90% of engagements on the approved internal audit plan as approved or formally amended by the Audit Committee of the Board.
- Complete the annual risk assessment and internal audit plan reports for presentation to the Audit Committee by July 31.
- Maintain an above average rating on all Internal Audit client satisfaction surveys.
- Meet the annual internal requirements for continued education.
- Complete and fully implement the internal audit department quality and controls structure and plan by the end of fiscal year 2023.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in society. We are committed to an organizational culture that promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege, and commit as an organization to have equitable practices, policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/ to learn about IDEA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias commitment.
Learn more about IDEA