Role Mission: The Bus Monitor will ride buses and help driver ensure safe and orderly transportation of students with disabilities.
What You’ll Do – Accountabilities:
- Lift and carry students with disabilities on and off the bus according to their individual needs.
- Supervise students as they board and leave bus and cross street.
- Take children into building and help them find their way.
- Learn and adapt to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Manage student behavior and report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator.
- Communicate with teachers and parents on a daily basis regarding student behavior while on bus.
- Become familiar with all routes to and from school campus to be of assistance to driver.
- Maintain an updated route schedule.
- Supervise use of seat belts, harnesses, or car seats by students.
- Follow emergency procedures and help driver administer first aid, if necessary.
- Operate equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Follow established procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, assisting students, etc.
- Become familiar with and follow procedures established by transportation and special education offices.
- Help driver keep bus clean.
- Work irregular hours as needed.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
******This is a part time split shift. AM shift and a PM shift*******
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Frequent walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling
- Moderate lifting and carrying.
- Work outside and inside
- Work around vehicles and machinery with moving parts
- Moderate exposure to extreme temperatures and vehicle fumes.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- License or Certification:
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to follow verbal instructions and communicate effectively
- Ability to operate safety equipment and adaptive equipment
- Ability to work well with children with disabilities
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate of $10.00/hourly
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com‐muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school with 150 students to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free, Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post and U.S. News & World Report’s top high schools lists. IDEA serves nearly 75,000 college-bound students in 137 schools across Texas, Southern Louisiana and Florida and is on-track to maintain its legacy of sending 100% of its graduates to college. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with new launches in Jacksonville, FL (2022). Cincinnati, OH (2022), and Arkansas (2023)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.